Generators running for extended periods need to have their oil checked.
Check oil after 12 hours of run time.
- Open the generator housing.
- Turn off the breaker (looks like a house breaker), which is located on the side of the generator. This will cause the lights/loads to shut off but the generator will continue to run.
- Locate the controller inside the generator and move the rocker to “RESET” or “OFF”. This will cause the generator to shut off.
- Wait 5 minutes for the generator to cool off a bit.
- Locate the dipstick and check the oil level.
- If oil is needed, unscrew the oil fill cover.
- Add oil in slow increments (you don’t want to overfill) and fill to “FULL” mark on the dipstick as needed. Oil type: 5W30 Synthetic.
- Replace dipstick and the oil cover.
- On the controller, reset the rocker to “AUTO” – this will cause the generator to start.
- Wait 10 seconds and turn on the breaker – this will cause the lights/loads to come back on.
- Close the generator housing.
At Clinton Electric Company, we are here to make the overall health of your home a top priority! If you have any questions regarding our generator maintenance service, please get in contact with us at 410-449-7292. We look forward to serving you in any way we can.
Generator Maintenance Checklist
Automatic standby generators require routine maintenance for a lasting performance and extend the lifespan. While many automatic standby generators have a shutdown when low oil pressure is detected, this is not indicative of required maintenance. Our technicians will thoroughly assess your generator to keep it in top working order.
Some simple maintenance that you can do for your generator includes:
Benefits of Generator Maintenance
The benefits of generator maintenance include:
- Provides the assurance and relief that your generator is working as it should
- Identifies potential issues and allows you to get them fixed right away
- Avoids costly repairs or sudden need for replacement
- Extends the lifespan of your unit
Get a Free Estimate
Keeping Local Homes & Businesses Powered
Call us at (410) 449-7292 or contact us online today for more information about generator maintenance. We offer free, no-obligation estimates!
Periodic Generator Maintenance
Help ensure your generator operates at its best during an outage.
The following steps should be carried out after every 200 hours of use:
- Check the battery condition
- Check electrolyte levels
- Change the oil
- Replace the oil filter
Every 400 hours of use, or after about 4 years, complete the following:
- Replace the air filter
- Regap all spark plugs and replace pitted or fouled spark plugs
- Adjust and inspect valve clearances
Contact us at (410) 449-7292 to learn more about proper generator maintenance.
The Clinton Electric Company Generator Maintenance
At the Clinton Electric Company, we go above and beyond these minimum requirements for all the generators we install and for our maintenance contract customers. Our commitment to quality explains why we have generators that are 12 years old and still running with no issues.
We do a 3-month break-in oil service for every generator we install
We use only 5w-30 full synthetic oil in every generator
We also wax every generator we maintenance twice a year
We use all Generac preventive maintenance equipment
Request Service Now
We Love Our Customers
The people over at Clinton Electric really do a wonderful job of keeping their customers happy. I had them come by to set something up for me and the guy they sent, Chris I believe his name was, was just an absolute gem. He did a great job with installing what I needed done, and when I had an issue a couple weeks later he was right back out to my home to fix it. These guys are just spectacular and Chris just does such a wonderful job, I would definitely recommend these guys to anyone and everyone!
Amazing to Work With
Clinton Electric Co. were amazing to work with. I used their services twice because I had to have lights and extensions installed in my home. They were very good when I called; extremely prompt, their scheduling was prompt. The first time I had issues and they couldn't find the problem, but the service person who came went above and beyond and didn't stop his work until he found it, even though I told him it was okay - this was on Christmas Day exactly! I asked for him the second time around because he was so good. All in all excellent service and communication, these guys really care about the work that they do and the quality of their service is top notch. I would recommend them to anyone who needs a reliable electrician.
Really Great Prices
I recently had the folks over at Clinton Electric come over to fix some stuff for me and I am very happy with the results. They were really easy to schedule an appointment with which was a big relief for me. I really appreciated that they called prior to coming to give me a heads up of when they were coming and it was within the time slot I was assigned so that was good. When they came they did a really great job and now my electrical problems are no more! Their prices are really great and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is in need of a high quality electrician!